Apr 18, 2008

Settling In



Well the last few weeks have been interesting. The move went very well. We had help from the family and a few friends, which was perfect. Too many people would've meant a few more dings in things. Then came the boxes and boxes. In general moving into a new place takes awhile to get adjusted to. It has it's own noises and quirks about it and different things to get use to, but overall it's all about making it a home. So we've been working hard at getting pictures on the walls, decorations here and there, hanging ceiling fans and light fixtures, and putting everything in it's right spot. It's also taking awhile filling it completely with furniture. I do have to say that I'm surprised at how well we fill the rooms, but the living room needs some work. We bought a sectional that just looks so small and decided a coffee table and recliner are needed to help fill it up. Of course there are many more things we would like, but wrote those off to a Christmas list for the end of the year (rugs, cabinet knobs, tools, etc). Now we're onto the projects-paint, garage floor epoxy, and landscaping. I'm so ready to get the back yard done, but pretty hesitant to jump right into it just because we've never done anything like it before. It's a pretty small back yard so we're just going to pour a patio, lay down some turf and add rocks and plants. It sounds easy, but there's a lot that goes into it! So we'll see how it goes. It's an adventure for sure owning your own house and learning all the things that come with it. Working for a builder has definitely come in handy! Just seems like I know a lot more then I would if I hadn't been working in new home building for the last 2 1/2 yrs. Amazing...Well, this adventure isn't the type we usually go on or do, but it has been an adventure in its own way.

3 comments:

sara said...

Yea!! I've been waiting for pictures of the house. I love it! It looks like you're having fun getting everything put together. And the rest will come with time (and $$). Doesn't it feel so nice to be working on a place that is YOURS! :)

Meridy said...

Your kitchen looks great!!!! Love it. You are brave. I wouldn't know how to begin to pour concrete. Good luck with all of your projects!!

Mary Kelly said...

The house looks great! What a great feeling to actually work on your OWN house! I only hope Spencer and I will be finished with the renting stage soon.