Monday, September 1st was opening day of Travis's Cow Elk Hunt. I personally was pretty excited for this hunt, mostly because I'm so curious to try elk and see what it tastes like. Everyone says it's a lot better then most other game. Anyways, we set out Saturday night to go scout out our measly area-the Atlanta Farms Fields. The owners want hunters to come in and thin out the herds because they chow down on their crop. So we only have a 5 mile radius to hunt on all the way around the farm. The farm is pretty big, but the area where the elk would be is pretty small. Saturday night we went spot-lighting and saw a few deer and we think 1 herd of elk. Sunday we went scouting around all day, saw a few cow elk, but in an area that would be impossible to find them again in on Monday. We did see some elk right next to the fields 1st thing in the morning though, so from there we, well Travis, devised our plan of attack. Monday morning, 5am, we drove in on the south end of the fields. I dropped Travis off and hiked north along the edge of the fields. I sat in the truck snoozing until I was given the ok to drive ahead and glass. (I couldn't see anything because it was dark and because I was in the trees so I felt justified in snoozing). I was abruptly woken up by a radio call from Trav saying he had found some elk. Hooray! We were so excited. Our plan worked! But, a few minutes later, Travis informed me that they were all BULL ELK! I couldn't believe it. Bull are hard enough to find, let alone on the day we were suppose to be finding cow. So I had to see for myself. And sure enough, there were 7 Bull Elk making their way out of the fields heading due south towards me. Check out the up close and personal video. Unfortunately, we were not successful this trip since our cows turned out to be bulls, but we'll be back before the tag expires.
13 years ago
1 comments:
Sweet movie! It was quite funny, actually, bc I was watching Phantom of the Opera while I was checking your blog and it was a very suspenseful part musically right when you zoomed in on the big bull. It was perfectly synchronized! I was afraid. Hehe.
Post a Comment