Aug 15, 2009

Mt. Charleston: Cool Air Get-Away


Ok, I'm getting sick of the summer heat. So we took off this afternoon up to Mt. Charleston to try out the South Trail Loop which takes you up to Griffith Peak (~11,000ft) and Mt. Charleston Peak (11,918ft). I love hiking to the tops of mountains and figure if you just start out early enough you're good. Well, we're both not in the best shape and we didn't get started until 4pm, so we just decided to test out the first few miles of the South Loop Trail to get a feel for it and see if we'd be ready for a full day hike to the top. The total trip to the top of Mt. Charleston Peak is 16miles round trip that climbs 4,000+ feet. We probably did about 3miles of it. It was a pretty steep trail and we were already feeling it on our way back down! Now don't get me wrong, I still want to hike the entire South Loop Trail all the way to the top of Mt. Charleston Peak, but I think I need to get these feet into some hiking boots more often! Lily, of course, came with us and did great, as usual. Overall, it was so nice to get out and enjoy the nice weather! We'll probably go again next weekend. :)

Us on the trail. It was a pretty dusty day so scenic pictures didn't turn out that great.

1 comments:

Sarah Wells said...

I hope you get some pics from this top next time! :)