Aug 29, 2012

The Harvest

It's been so fun watching our garden grow this summer! It was a little stressful at first during the month of June since we didn't have any rain or clouds, so it took awhile for our plants to get going. We had to replant a few times as well and we definitely have been learning lots as we go. Now it's harvest time and we've had great success with the summer/spaghetti squash, zucchini, corn, potatoes, radishes, onions, cilantro, peas and carrots. We didn't do as well with the cucumber, tomato, serrano, strawberries or green beans. And we didn't get any green/red/orange peppers, parsley, basil or pumpkins. 

It's a great feeling seeing that the majority of what we planted produced a yummy result, but it is A LOT of work. People would tell me that in the beginning and it wasn't such a big deal. I figured plotting and seeding was the worst of it since we put in an 8 hour day to get it going. But now that we're winding down, it's not the water and weeding that bug me, it's the preserving and cooking that aren't my favorite part. :P I just don't like being in the kitchen any longer then needs be. Maybe someday I'll get over that... I'd say my favorite part has been harvesting though. It's been fun going out and picking peas and digging up potatoes and carrots and pick squash, zucchini and corn.

Our first signs of corn

Our first harvest, radishes
Next harvest, peas
Dallen & I picking weeds next to the potatoes and onions
First signs of squash
A few mini strawberries
Rows of radishes, onions and potatoes
Dallen in the corn field

And our first big harvest!

0 comments: